EAT SIMPLE, EAT FRESH
The key to healthy eating is to enjoy a variety of nutritious foods from each of the 5 food groups.
- Dairy: the foods in this group are excellent sources of calcium, which is important for strong, healthy bones. Not many other foods in our diet contain as much calcium as dairy foods.
- Fruit: fruit provides vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre and many phytonutrients (nutrients naturally present in plants), that help your body stay healthy.
- Grain (cereal) foods: always choose wholegrain and/or high fibre varieties of breads, cereals, rice, pasta, noodles, etc. Refined grain products (such as cakes or biscuits) can be high in added sugar, fat and sodium.
- Lean meats and poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts and seeds: And our body uses the protein we eat to make specialised chemicals such as haemoglobin and adrenalin. Protein also builds, maintains, and repairs the tissues in our body. Muscles and organs (such as your heart) are made of protein.
- Vegetables, legumes and beans: vegetables should make up a large part of your daily food intake and should be encouraged at every meal (including snack times). They provide vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre and phytonutrients (nutrients naturally present in plants) to help your body stay healthy.( Courtesy of Healthy Kids Association Australia)
Most importantly, when it comes to losing weight and body fat, diet and exercise are most effective when done together as compared to either strategy alone.
And I am sure you have heard it before, more than ever doctors and therapists are recommending that Exercise is one of the healthiest steps you can take to improve your life, health and emotional well-being. It not only helps you maintain a healthy body and weight ratio but it also has proven benefits in increasing your happiness and improving your relationships with others.
Deepak Chopra & Oprah Winfrey
IS GETTING OLDER JUST A CHOICE WE MAKE?
A revolutionary new program by Dr. Deepak Chopra that will teach you how to apply anti-aging principles to your life today.
1: Changing Perceptions
2: A Youthful Mind
3: Healthy Relationships
4: The Mind-Body Connection
5: Mindful Eating
6: Joyful Exercise