I had heard of them and used them but I have never known what they are called. Well now I know…. Paraprosdokians
They are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and is frequently humorous. (Sir Winston Churchill was one who loved them).
1. Where there’s a will, I want to be in it
2. Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
4. If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
5. We never really grow up — we only learn how to act in public.
6. War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
9. I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
10. In filling out an application, where it says, “In case of emergency, notify…” I answered “a doctor.”
11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
13. I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not so sure.
14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
15. Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
16. You’re never too old to learn something stupid.
17. I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
18 Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
19. How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
20. The last thing I want to do is hurt you … but it’s still on my list.
Paraprosdokians ….My kind of humour 🙂
Michael E Thornley
Author & Lifestyle Entrepreneur
Our guest Blogger today is our friend and regular contributor Trish Rock 🙂
Creator of the Wealth Flow Formula
" On some level, I believe we all want to be seen ...
Motivation starts now!
I hope that you are all well and achieving your goals in life.
I would also like to apologise for my absence yet I have been productive in setting ...
Hello my friends,
I thought in today's post I would share with you all a quick summary of what my business is all about as many of you have been asking. ...
The Only Thing Making You Unhappy Are Your Own Thoughts. So Change Them!
“The problem isn't the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?” Captain Jack ...
Mentors are a trusted and experienced adviser, a guide, a counselor, perhaps even a guru or swami and often, in our informative years, it may be a family member.
Throughout our ...
Dreams of the Bottom Billion -
A New Approach To Curing World Poverty
Today I am sharing a rather unique idea by my colleague Anik Singal. Watch the video! Thought provoking! ...
" Let today be the day that you love yourself enough to no longer just dream of a better life; Let it be the day you act upon it!"...... Steve ...
Our guess blogger today is Kristen Owens, a regular contributor to 'Achieve Your Dreams'
Michael Ellis Thornley
Creator of the Wealth Flow Formula
Partner at MOBE
'Aspire to Inspire before you Expire'
Did you know ...
Today's blog post is quite timely for many of you. Once again our guest blogger Kristen Owens hit's the proverbial nail on the head.
Enjoy! Oh and don't forget if you ...
I wanted to share the following with my friends 🙂
Have a fabulous day and remember to smile! 🙂
The Wealth Flow Formula is coming SOON!
"A lovely little girl was holding ...
Love who we are first – Trish Rock
What is my new online business I hear
The Only Thing Making You Unhappy Are Your
Mentors are our guiding light in life
Dreams of the Bottom Billion – A New
5 Days to Conquer Your Self Destruct Habits
Live Confidently Courageously – with Kristen Owens
Don’t judge a book by its cover