I had heard of them and used them but I have never known what they are called. Well now I know…. Paraprosdokians
They are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and is frequently humorous. (Sir Winston Churchill was one who loved them).
1. Where there’s a will, I want to be in it
2. Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
4. If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
5. We never really grow up — we only learn how to act in public.
6. War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
9. I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
10. In filling out an application, where it says, “In case of emergency, notify…” I answered “a doctor.”
11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
13. I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not so sure.
14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
15. Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
16. You’re never too old to learn something stupid.
17. I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
18 Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
19. How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
20. The last thing I want to do is hurt you … but it’s still on my list.
Paraprosdokians ….My kind of humour 🙂
Michael E Thornley
Author & Lifestyle Entrepreneur
Today's blog post is quite timely for many of you. Once again our guest blogger Kristen Owens hit's the proverbial nail on the head.
Enjoy! Oh and don't forget if you ...
I wanted to share the following with my friends 🙂
Have a fabulous day and remember to smile! 🙂
The Wealth Flow Formula is coming SOON!
"A lovely little girl was holding ...
O' Happy Day Michael,
I was speaking with a new client the other day who was so candid when she was explaining to me how hard it has been to ...
BOOK REVIEW- "It Works R.H. JARRETT a concise, definite, resultful plan with rules, explanations and suggestions for bettering your condition in life. If you KNOW what you WANT you can ...
A random act of kindness
As you will see in the following video an act of kindness can be very simple in the giving yet monumental for the one receiving it. ...
Author- Books Written & Published. Read all my books at Amazon in Kindle form
by Michael E Thornley
CLICK HERE for my Amazon.com Authors Page
'Self Publishing with Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP)' is one writer's journey ...
The Only Thing Making You Unhappy Are Your Own Thoughts. So Change Them!
“The problem isn't the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?” Captain Jack ...
The best search results require some thought
Whenever we need to know anything these days, the majority of us immediately go to Google for the answer. But there’s more to getting ...
One Should Never Say Never as there is Always a Chance, in Different Circumstances and Situations, for the Pieces to all Fall Together in Harmony....... Michael Thornley
Live your Life List. Do you have a list of what you would like to do in life.... goals to achieve.... commonly called a Bucket list?
Have you ever really thought ...
Live Confidently Courageously – with Kristen Owens
Don’t judge a book by its cover
Mindset detox with Kristen Owens
It Works: The Famous Little Red Book That
Read all my books at Amazon in Kindle
The Only Thing Making You Unhappy Are Your
Google tricks you never knew about
Chance – There is Always a Chance