Paraprosdokians – What did you say?
I had heard of them and used them but I have never known what they are called. Well now I know…. Paraprosdokians
They are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and is frequently humorous. (Sir Winston Churchill was one who loved them).
1. Where there’s a will, I want to be in it
2. Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
4. If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
5. We never really grow up — we only learn how to act in public.
6. War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
9. I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
10. In filling out an application, where it says, “In case of emergency, notify…” I answered “a doctor.”
11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
13. I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not so sure.
14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
15. Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
16. You’re never too old to learn something stupid.
17. I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
18 Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
19. How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
20. The last thing I want to do is hurt you … but it’s still on my list.
Paraprosdokians ….My kind of humour 🙂
Michael E Thornley
Author & Lifestyle Entrepreneur
'Old habits die hard'
- an old Polish Proverb
Meaning: People find it difficult to change their accustomed behavior.
The breaking of 'old habits' is often part of our journey so that we ...
Our guest Blogger today is our friend and regular contributor Trish Rock 🙂
Creator of the Wealth Flow Formula
" On some level, I believe we all want to be seen ...
"My thoughts are adrift on an open sea,
To sail a destination I would rather be.
Guided by a heart that illuminates my quest,
To be with my love with desire and zest."
I know that many of you are considering starting a business from home via the Internet. No matter what your passion or interest is, you can all benefit from 'Affiliate ...
Today's guest post is by Jacqueline Whitmore (Author, Business Etiquette Expert and Founder of The Protocol School of Palm Beach)
I am sharing a post she wrote recently. All credit to ...
Sometimes I wonder if our heads and our hearts belong to the same body!!!!.... indeed we need a balance with balance being the operative word...NOT 'off balance' and swinging ...
Synchronicity - " the simultaneous occurrence of events which appear significantly related but have no discernible causal connection." ....or do they?
Seeing 'signs' or recognising interrelated occurrences happens to all of us. ...
' Magic exists. Who can doubt it, when there are rainbows and wildflowers, the music of the wind and the silence of the stars? Anyone who has loved has been ...
Firstly, you may be asking what is 'Living the Laptop Lifestyle'?
Well it is exactly as is suggested by the title....... you can earn an income via your computer.
With a Laptop ...
Getting the right perspective in life
I was about to write a blog on having a Healthy Perspective in life when I read the following article and decided to share with ...
Old habits die hard but they do die!
Love who we are first – Trish Rock
Guided by a heart that illuminates my quest
Online business- Affiliate Marketing
Synchronicity – signs, signs, everywhere are signs
Living the Laptop Lifestyle
Getting the right perspective in life
This entry was posted in learn
. Bookmark the permalink