Paraprosdokians – What did you say?
I had heard of them and used them but I have never known what they are called. Well now I know…. Paraprosdokians
They are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and is frequently humorous. (Sir Winston Churchill was one who loved them).
1. Where there’s a will, I want to be in it
2. Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
4. If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
5. We never really grow up — we only learn how to act in public.
6. War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
9. I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
10. In filling out an application, where it says, “In case of emergency, notify…” I answered “a doctor.”
11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
13. I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not so sure.
14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
15. Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
16. You’re never too old to learn something stupid.
17. I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
18 Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
19. How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
20. The last thing I want to do is hurt you … but it’s still on my list.
Paraprosdokians ….My kind of humour 🙂
Michael E Thornley
Author & Lifestyle Entrepreneur
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.~Mahatma Gandhi
Michael Ellis Thornley
'Aspire to Inspire ...
Synchronicity - " the simultaneous occurrence of events which appear significantly related but have no discernible causal connection." ....or do they?
Seeing 'signs' or recognising interrelated occurrences happens to all of us. ...
Think Critically. Wake up. Keep your head on a swivel.
Today's Blog post is from one of my coaches and mentors J T DeBolt.
Michael E Thornley
Author, Lifestyle Entrepreneur &
"...Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, ...
Our guess blogger today is Kristen Owens, a regular contributor to 'Achieve Your Dreams'
Michael Ellis Thornley
Creator of the Wealth Flow Formula
Partner at MOBE
'Aspire to Inspire before you Expire'
Did you know ...
9 Will Smith Quotes For Inspiration
Here are quotes by Will Smith and interpretations on how you can apply them in life...courtesy of 'Addicted to Success'
“Throughout life people will make you ...
The choice is yours!
It is up to you which one you feed.....you can continue to dwell in self pity or snap out of it and get on with living!
Michael Ellis ...
Our guest blogger this week is once again our good friend Trish Rock.
Her candidness is appreciated and I am sure resonates with many of us.
'Achieve Your dreams'
'Ask Mike How'
“Creating an Unstoppable Mindset”
GUEST POST: Shared from an Email I received from
Kristen Owens - Author, Speaker, Coach, Holistic Nutritionist www.kristenowenscoaching.com . email@example.com
This is line with what I have talked about in ...
Why ask why you say? Well why not! 🙂
Seriously though it is important that when we are setting our goals that we ask why do we wish to set them? ...
Change- Be The Change You Wish To See
Synchronicity – signs, signs, everywhere are signs
Think Critically. Wake up. Keep your head on
5 Days to Conquer Your Self Destruct Habits
Actor Will Smith Quotes of Inspiration
Choice- The choice is yours!
Your Story…Your Life…Your Choice
“Creating an Unstoppable Mindset” with Kristen Owens
Why ask Why? When we are setting our
This entry was posted in learn
. Bookmark the permalink